Would you like to see Bill Gates deliver the 14th Nelson Mandela Annual Lecture on July 17, 2016? We'd love to have you as our guest. See below to find out more about how to get tickets and terms and conditions.
Terms and Conditions
You are invited to apply to win 2 tickets to attend the Nelson Mandela Annual Lecture in Pretoria, Gauteng South Africa on 17 July 2016 (the “Prize”), where Bill Gates will deliver the 14th Nelson Mandela Annual Lecture (the “Event”) (the “Competition”).
The Annual Lecture is an annual event hosted by the Nelson Mandela Foundation. The lecture series encourages people to enter into dialogue – often about difficult subjects – in order to address the challenges we face today. Bill Gates will give the lecture this year and address the theme “Living Together”.
The Event will take place on Sunday, July 17 2016 at the University of Pretoria’s Mamelodi Campus in Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa.
The Prize is sponsored by the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation (the “Foundation”), a charitable trust existing under the laws of the state of Washington, U.S.A, with its principal place of business at 500 Fifth Avenue North, Seattle, WA 98109, and with a presence in Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa. The Competition is in no way sponsored, endorsed, administered by, or associated with, Facebook or Twitter, and you hereby agree to release Facebook and Twitter from any and all liability related to this Competition.
Who can apply?
This Competition is open only to legal residents of the Republic of South Africa, who are at least 18 (eighteen) years of age or older at the time of entry and who have an active Facebook or Twitter Account. In order to be eligible to enter you must have (i) an active, legitimate and lawful Twitter account and which account follows the Twitter handle, @gatesfoundation; alternatively (ii) an active, legitimate and lawful Facebook account from which you post on the Foundation’s Facebook page located here:
The Competition begins on 13 July 2016, at 12:00 pm CAT and entries close on 15 July 2016, at 9 am CAT. Entries must be received during this period to be eligible to win the Prize.
Employees, officers, and directors of the Foundation or its affiliated companies, agents, distributors, advertising, promotion, and production agencies, or members of their respective immediate families (parents, spouse, children, siblings) or individuals residing in their household (whether or not related) are not eligible to enter this competition.
Subject to these terms and conditions (the “Terms and Conditions”), the Prize will be made available to people who engage with the Foundation on Facebook or Twitter as described herein.
The winners of the Prize are responsible for his/her own transportation to and from the Event, located in Pretoria, Gauteng South Africa. Inter, no accommodation and/or transportation will be provided to the winners.
How to apply:
- Using Twitter: tweet the reason you would like to attend the Event using the ‘hashtag’, #BillGatesInSA; alternatively
- Using Facebook: post on the Foundation’s Facebook page the reason why you would like to attend the Event will be selected from those who enter online in accordance with these Terms and Conditions. Winners will be contacted by way of Facebook or Twitter by Friday, July 15 2016 at 12 PM. The decisions of Foundation shall be final and binding for all aspects of this Competition.
Eligible Tweets and Facebook posts must not:
- promote alcohol, illegal drugs, tobacco, firearms/weapons;
- contain name, voice or likeness of celebrities or other public figures, nor any other individual without legal permission to use any individual’s name, voice or likeness;
- contain any material that is unlawful, pornographic, obscene, threatening, discriminatory, constitutes harassment and/or bullying, vulgar, indecent, profane, racially, culturally or ethnically offensive, or that encourages criminal conduct, or that gives rise, or potentially gives rise to, civil or criminal liability, or that violates any applicable laws, rules or regulations or which otherwise constitutes hate speech;
- promote any political agenda, specific legislation or any candidates for political office;
- disparage the Foundation, the United Nations or any other person, entity or organization; and/or
- contain material that is inappropriate, inconsistent with the charitable goals of the Foundation, violent, indecent, obscene, hateful, tortious, defamatory, slanderous or libelous, or that degrades or demeans the human form, image or status of women, men or the members of any group based on race, religion, ethnic background, sexual orientation or any other minority status.
By participating, you fully and unconditionally agree to and accept as final and binding these terms and conditions and the decisions of the Foundation on behalf of yourself and each of your respective heirs, legal representatives, successors and assigns (“Releasing Party”), and release, defend and hold harmless the Foundation, its parent companies, subsidiaries, affiliates, distributors, and professional advisors, and their respective officers, directors and employees, The Nelson Mandela Foundation, Twitter and Facebook (“Released Parties”) from any and all causes of action, claims and demands whosoever, in law, or equity, arising from or related to the promotion of this event, the preparation of any entry materials, or delivery, misdelivery, acceptance, possession, use of or inability to use the Prize. By participating, you agree to release and hold harmless the Released Parties insofar as is permitted by law from and against any claim or cause of action arising out of participation herein or receipt or use or misuse of the Prize. Nothing in these Terms and Conditions shall limit or exclude the Released Parties’ liability for death or personal injury caused by its negligence, or the negligence of its employees, agents or subcontractors (as applicable), or for fraud or fraudulent misrepresentation.
The Released Parties are not responsible for: (1) any incorrect or inaccurate information, whether caused by you, printing errors or by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilized for the purpose of the Competition; (2) technical failures of any kind, including, but not limited to malfunctions, interruptions, or disconnections in phone or cable lines, network hardware or software, malfunctions of computer systems, servers, providers, hardware/software, lost or unavailable network connections or failed, incomplete, garbled or delayed computer transmission or any combination thereof, or other technological malfunctions; (3) unauthorized human intervention in any part of the entry process; (4) technical or human error which may occur in the administration or the processing of entries; or (5) any injury or damage to persons or property which may be caused, directly or indirectly, in whole or in part, from your participation in this Competition or receipt or use or misuse of the Prize.
The Released Parties do not make any warranty, representation or guarantee, express or implied, in fact or in law, relative to the use of the Prize, including, without limitation, quality, merchantability or fitness for a particular purpose.
You understand and agree that this ticket promotion shall be governed by and interpreted under the laws of the State of Washington without regard to conflict of law provisions. You further agree that any disputes or claims arising out of or in connection with this ticket promotion shall be resolved by the State and Federal courts covering Seattle, Washington, which shall have sole jurisdiction of any controversy regarding or arising from the ticket promotion or event. BY ENTERING THE CONTEST, YOU WAIVE ANY AND ALL OBJECTIONS TO JURISDICTION AND VENUE IN THE COURTS COVERING SEATTLE, WASHINGTON AND SUBMIT TO THE JURISDICTION OF THE COURTS. Further, you acknowledge and agree that you may only assert claims on your own behalf and not on behalf of any other person or entity arising from or in connection with this ticket promotion.