When we first opened the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation Visitor Center, families and students alike would often ask: “How can we give back?” These requests eventually shaped a special project called The Give Effect.
What is The Give Effect?
Now in its second year, The Give Effect aims to inspire acts of generosity big and small. This year we collected over 300 wishes from groups that serve youth and families, from Seattle to Sierra Leone. Anyone can join our gift drive by stopping by the Visitor Center to gather a wish from our “giving tree.” This year, the Visitor Center has an “inspiration crew” of 34 local high school students who plan to inspire 1,000 acts of kindness. You can follow their campaign via #TheGiveEffect hashtag. The Give Effect culminates on Saturday, December 28 with our next free Family Day, tailored for do-gooders of all ages, including hands-on activities, live performances and inspiring speakers that celebrate ways we can give back to our communities!
The Give Effect Gift Drive Partners
- Books for Africa and Schools for Salone: Gather books for children in Sierra Leone
- ChildHaven: Assist children survivors of abuse
- Educare: Support an early learning center in White Center, Seattle
- First Place School: Support a school serving families in transition
- Mockingbird Society: Assist foster families and foster children
- Rainier Scholars: Assist low-income youth of color in their academic careers
- TAF: Support youth of color in STEM education
- Wellspring Family Services: Support a social service center helping low-income families
- YouthCare: Help youth experiencing homelessness
Want to join The Give Effect?
- Stop by the Visitor Center and select a wish from our “giving tree” from November 29 to December 24
- Share your story of giving or act of kindness this season and tag #TheGiveEffect
- Come to Family Day on December 28 (10 am – 3 pm) and celebrate all the ways we can give back to our community
Every season is a season of giving! We hope to see you soon!
The Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation Visitor Center is located at 440 5th Ave North, Seattle, WA and open Tuesday – Saturday, 10 a.m. – 5 p.m.